Thursday, December 4, 2008

Are You A Risk Taker?

"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

God instructs his people to lead courageously. This can be seen in many areas throughout scripture. Courage is a key characteristic that all leaders should posses. Courage though does not mean only being brave when the decisions are easy. I believe it means being a risk taker at times. You know, taking the occasional "flyer."

Why is it that so many leaders today are afraid to take a risk? It seems like they need the current poll to dictate which stand to take and those not to take. Many modern day leaders appear to be in "self preservation" mode and don't take risks. They are satisfied with the status quo.

I love David, a man after God's own heart. He took the ultimate "flyer." Even in spite of the current running poll, he went up against a giant. He took a big risk and it paid off.

I love this quote from Andy Stanley's, "Next Generation Leader."
"Leaders understand the unique roles of confidence and caution. Courage requires both. David's caution did not keep him from the battle, but neither did he allow his confidence to blind him to the need to select his stones with care."

Are you a risk taker? Don't let "self preservation" keep you from taking the occasional flyer. Be cautious, yet confident, and choose your stones with care.

No comments: